
CitizenM Amstel Amsterdam: The Hotel That'll Blow Your Mind!
Right, Let's Talk CitizenM Amstel Amsterdam: Prepare to Have Your Mind…Sort Of…Blown. (Honestly.)
Okay, so, I've been to CitizenM Amstel Amsterdam. And I'm ready to give you the full, unfiltered, slightly messy, and hopefully helpful rundown. Forget the bland, corporate reviews. This is the real deal. Buckle up, buttercups.
First, the Promises (and the Payoffs):
CitizenM promises "The Hotel That'll Blow Your Mind!" Bold words, right? Let's see if it delivers. Spoiler alert: it depends on what kind of mind-blowing you're after. It's not literally mind-blowing, like, you won't spontaneously learn quantum physics. But in its own quirky, modern, minimalist way? Yeah, it's pretty darn good.
Accessibility: A Breath of Fresh Air (Mostly)
Right off the bat, crucial stuff. Accessibility, Accessibility, Accessibility. The good news is, CitizenM generally gets it. Wheelchair accessible is a definite plus, and they actually mean it – not just a token ramp. The elevator is, well, an elevator! (I've seen some dodgy elevators in my time, so this is noteworthy.) Facilities for disabled guests are listed. They definitely seem to be trying.
Internet: Wi-Fi Everywhere (THANK GOD)
Okay, I NEED Wi-Fi. Like, need it. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Yep, and it actually works. Glorious. Internet access – wireless is a given these days, but I've been burned before. Here, it held up, even in the lobby where the Wi-Fi in public areas was also reliable. They offer Internet [LAN] too, for those old-school types. (Though, honestly, who uses LAN anymore?)
Rooms: Tiny but Mighty (and Blacked Out)
The rooms… they're compact. Really compact. But cleverly designed. Think minimalist chic meets tiny living. And the best part? Blackout curtains. Oh, sweet, sweet blackout curtains. I'm a light sleeper, so this was a godsend. You get a closet, (though it's small), a desk (to work on my laptop with Internet access – wireless), a comfy bed, and basic amenities like complimentary tea and a coffee/tea maker. The shower is powerful, the toiletries are decent, and you can even order an additional toilet if you desperately need one! (Don't ask.) The in-room safe box is appreciated, too. All in all, it's everything you NEED…and nothing you don't.
Cleanliness and Safety: Feeling Safe (and Slightly Obsessive)
This is where CitizenM really shone during my visit. Everything felt clean – and that matters more than ever. Anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection in common areas, hygiene certification, and the fact that the staff trained in safety protocol were all hugely reassuring. I spotted hand sanitizer dispensers everywhere. They also have things like smoke alarms and fire extinguishers and CCTV in common areas and CCTV outside property, which isn't strictly "cleanliness," but it definitely makes you feel safer. I like the sound of that.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A Little Bit of Everything (But Nothing Over-the-Top)
Okay, the food situation. This isn't a Michelin-starred restaurant kind of place. It's more "grab-and-go gourmet" – there’s a coffee shop, a snack bar, the restaurants offer an a la carte in restaurant and a buffet in restaurant and options for Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant. You can also find desserts in restaurant, salad in restaurant, and Soup in restaurant. There are the Restaurants and a Poolside bar. The bar is well-stocked. There are bottle of water. If you need to, order Room service [24-hour].
One morning, I skipped the (perfectly fine) buffet and grabbed a sandwich from the grab-and-go section. It was…fine. But hey, the coffee/tea in restaurant was good. And the happy hour at the bar? Definitely a highlight. They also provide breakfast takeaway service for those mornings where you just need to bolt. Oh, and important for many people: a vegetarian restaurant.
Getting Around: Navigating Amsterdam (and Beyond)
Airport transfer is offered, which is super convenient after a long flight. There's a car park [free of charge] (always a bonus in a city like Amsterdam), bicycle parking, and taxi service available. I just used the public transport, which is excellent in Amsterdam.
For the Kids (and Kid-Like Adults):
They're family/child friendly. I saw a few families around, so they must have enough facilities and the staff seemed able to help with babysitting service if needed.
Things to Do, Ways to Relax (Or Not):
Now, here's where it gets interesting. CitizenM is not a resort. It's a city hotel. So don't expect a sprawling spa. You get a fitness center (a small gym, but better than nothing). If you're looking for a serious spa experience, you're out of luck. There's a sauna, steamroom, and a spa/sauna.
Services and Conveniences: All the Little Things That Matter
From the 24-hour front desk and concierge to the laundry service, dry cleaning, and daily housekeeping, CitizenM takes care of the essentials. The elevator is definitely appreciated. They also have a gift/souvenir shop for those last-minute presents. Currency exchange is handy, too. I used the contactless check-in/out, which was a total dream. Cash withdrawal is available just in case.
The Quirks (and the Imperfections):
Okay, so, I walked into my room and a song started! It's all done via an iPad. Then I spent a solid fifteen minutes figuring out to change the song and the lights. It was all a bit…much at first. So, the "mindblowing" factor is definitely in the tech. (And yes, I am a tech dinosaur, apparently.) But the tech is cool once you've got the hang of it.
Oh, and the rooms. They're small, remember? Like, REALLY small. So if you're traveling with a lot of luggage, or if you need space to spread out, this might not be the place for you.
The Verdict: Would I Go Back?
Yes. Absolutely. For the price, the location (Amstel is awesome!), the cleanliness, the free Wi-Fi, and the overall cool vibe, CitizenM Amstel Amsterdam is a solid choice. It's not perfect, but it's a great base for exploring the city.
A Compelling Offer for YOU (and My Honest Plea):
Ready to Have Your Mind…Sort Of…Blown?
Here's the deal: Book your Amsterdam adventure at CitizenM Amstel Amsterdam and experience:
- Sleek, Modern Design: Stay in a perfectly designed room, fully equipped with all the tech you need.
- Super-Fast, Free Wi-Fi: Stay connected, work remotely, or just binge-watch your favorite shows (I won't judge).
- Prime Location: Explore Amsterdam’s vibrant center from a well-placed hub.
- Unbeatable Value: Get a top-notch experience without breaking the bank.
- Unwavering Cleanliness & Safety: Rest peacefully knowing that extra care is taken to ensure your safety.
Plus:
- Book now and get a complimentary drink at the bar! (I kinda need you to, I love those happy hours!)
Click here to book your stay at CitizenM Amstel Amsterdam NOW! Your Amsterdam adventure awaits…and it might just slightly, possibly, in a totally low-key way…blow your mind! (Okay, I'm done with the mind-blowing thing.)
Escape to Paradise: Hotel Villa Favorita, Italy Awaits!
Amsterdam, Baby! (A CitizenM Amstel Mess)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're doing Amsterdam. And not just any Amsterdam, but the one where I’m probably going to end up face-planting into a canal at some point. This is my Amsterdam, and it's going to be gloriously, messily, honestly… well, me.
Hotel: citizenM Amstel - AKA My Temporary Home
First off, the citizenM. Smart choice, past self (and future self, if I actually survive this trip). It’s those sleek, minimalist rooms that look like they were designed by Apple and furnished by a Scandinavian god. Cozy, efficient, and with a bed so comfy, it’s legitimately difficult to leave. The only downside? Feeling like you’re living inside a really expensive, well-designed Lego brick. But hey, the free Wi-Fi is clutch.
Day 1: Arrival, Canals, and Mild Panic
- 10:00 AM (ish) - Arrival & Mild Existential Dread: Landed at Schiphol, which, for the record, feels like a futuristic ant farm. Trains are the norm, and they’re blessedly efficient, which is good because my brain is currently operating at about 30%. Found the citizenM, which required some frantic Googling and me asking approximately 7 different confused-looking people for directions. Triumph! Checked in, and was immediately hit with a tidal wave of exhaustion. The room is… well, the room is a room. But a nice room. Now, where’s the coffee?
- 11:00 AM - Caffeine Infusion & Canal-Side Stroll: Found the coffee! It was decent. Fuelled up, I decided to embrace the cliché and hit the canals. O-M-G. These things are gorgeous. I mean, seriously, picture-postcard perfect. The houseboats are adorable, the bridges are charming… and the whole thing just smells of history and… well, water. I could practically feel the ghosts of Dutch Masters judging my selfie attempts. My phone nearly did a swan dive into the canal – a near-disaster. Apparently, I'm not great at walking and taking photos at the same time. Note to self: practice balancing skills.
- 1:00 PM - Lunch and a Dutch Snack Attack: Found a charming little cafe near the hotel and had a sandwich. It was fine. Nothing to write home about, but I needed carbs, stat. Then, the craving for stroopwafels hit. The actual craving. The "I-will-walk-miles-for-them" craving. Found a street vendor, got myself a freshly-made stroopwafel, and… heaven. Honestly, those things are worth the trip alone. The warm caramel oozing between the crispy wafers… sigh. Okay, back to reality.
- 3:00 PM - The Van Gogh Museum – Overwhelming Beauty and Existential Crisis: Okay, so I'm not even going to pretend I was prepared for the power of Van Gogh. I’m not an art-snob, I appreciate art, but his stuff… it's just… alive. The brushstrokes, the colours, the raw emotion… it's like he painted his soul onto the canvas. I stood in front of "Sunflowers" for a solid ten minutes just… absorbing. Then proceeded to feel incredibly inadequate about my own life choices. Minor crisis averted with the purchase of a postcard.
- 5:00 PM - The Rijksmuseum – Dutch Masters and Humbling Grandeur: More art. More gorgeousness. The Rijksmuseum is colossal. I spent hours wandering through the halls, mostly just gawking. Rembrandt's "The Night Watch" is… well, it's the. Massive, imposing, and filled with so much detail. Found myself lost in the sheer scale of it all, and wondering just how they even made this in the 17th century. My feet started screaming, and I definitely needed a coffee break, but the art… it was worth the pain.
- 7:00 PM - Dinner and… Possibly More Coffee (Or Wine): Found a restaurant that looked promising. Ordered way too much food. Food coma incoming. And maybe a little wine. Because Amsterdam.
- 9:00 PM - Back to citizenM – Coma Time: Collapsed into the comfy bed. Dreaming of stroopwafels and Van Gogh.
Day 2: Bikes, Beer, and a Whole Lot of Laughing
- 9:00 AM - Breakfast and the Great Bike Debacle: Breakfast at the citizenM. Again, decent. Then… BIKES! Rented a bike, because, you know, Amsterdam-by-bike is the thing. Which meant, after a bit of a wobbly start, I was suddenly a Dutch cycling pro…ish? I managed to navigate the bike-centric streets, narrowly avoiding several near-death experiences with trams and other cyclists.
- 11:00 AM - The Jordaan – Charming Chaos and Hidden Gems: Cycled into the Jordaan district. Seriously, this area is a hug in cobblestone form. Quaint canals, independent shops, and the general feeling of "I could totally live here". Got lost several times (naturally), stumbled upon a tiny art gallery, and found a vintage bookshop – a treasure trove of forgotten stories. My wallet and I were on a first name basis after this.
- 1:00 PM - Lunch and a Brewery Visit – Liquid Bread and Bubbles: Found a local brewery, because, well, beer. Sampled a couple of different brews – the Dutch know how to make good beer, that's for sure. The brewery was crowded with locals, which is always a good sign.
- 3:00 PM - Anne Frank House – A Sombre Reality: Went to the Anne Frank House. Booked tickets well in advance (thank God!), because the line looked horrendous. And, yeah, the experience was intense. Gut-wrenchingly, heart-stoppingly heartbreaking. The cramped rooms, the diary excerpts… it’s a reminder of the unimaginable suffering. The sheer resilience of the human spirit. I'm honestly still processing it. A solemn and important experience.
- 5:00 PM - Exploring the Streets - Stumbling Upon More Life: I needed a palate cleanser after the Anne Frank House, so I just walked. Wandered through the streets and got lost. Found some hidden courtyards, quaint cafes, and a shop selling… well, all sorts of things. Ended up in a small park, watching the world go by, and trying to shake the heavy feeling.
- 7:00 PM - Dinner and a Canal Cruise – Chasing the Sunset: Dinner at another restaurant. Decided to do a canal cruise – a touristy cliché, yes, but hey, the canals are beautiful! The sunset was epic, and it was a beautiful way to see the city from a another viewpoint.
- 9:00 PM - Bed and Brain Overload: Back to the citizenM, utterly exhausted and in full-on brain-overload. Tomorrow, I might just stay in bed.
Day 3: Flowers, Cheese, and My Very Own Amsterdam Meltdown
- 9:00 AM - Bloemenmarkt – A Riot of Colour and Questionable Purchases: The Bloemenmarket, the tulip market! Oh my god, the colours! It’s like a rainbow exploded. Bought way too many tulip bulbs (probably won't grow, but whatever), some weird flower seeds I'll never plant and a souvenir that I probably don't need. The sheer vibrancy of it has a way of making you feel happy.
- 11:00 AM - Cheese Tasting – Heaven in Dairy Form: Cheeeeeese! Went to a cheese shop and tasted ALL THE CHEESE. Smelling it was glorious. Buying it was even more so. I may have bought enough cheese to feed a small army. No regrets.
- 1:00 PM - Lunch - Where did the day go? : Found another cafe that seemed like a good option. The food was filling, but I was already thinking about cheese…
- 3:00 PM - The Heineken Experience– Touristy Fun, Mostly: Okay, I went to the Heineken Experience. It’s a tourist trap, but, honestly? It was kind of fun. The beer was good, the interactive exhibits were amusing, and I got a photo with a Heineken bottle. Judge me.
- 5:00 PM - The "Meltdown" - Unexpected Emotional Impact: Okay, this is the messy part. I went back to the hotel to work on some blogs - but had to actually take the plunge and buy the theme. As I was working and writing, something just… snapped. I started crying. Full-on, ugly-cry, snot-running-down-my-face crying. Exhaustion, the weight of the history, the overwhelming beauty, the sheer everything of Amsterdam… it all just hit me at once. I spent a solid hour in my little citizenM room, a sobbing mess, feeling utterly overwhelmed. Then, after drying my tears, I realized I was hungry, so I got up and went searching for food.
- 7:00 PM - Dinner - Comfort Food and Perspective: Found

CitizenM Amstel Amsterdam: Let's Be Honest...FAQ! (Because You *Need* to Know)
Okay, is this place *actually* "mind-blowing"? Like, will I spontaneously combust from the awesomeness?
Alright, alright, let's dial back the hype train *slightly*. "Mind-blowing" is a big claim, even for CitizenM. Look, it's got its charms. The lobby? Definitely cool. Like, *super* cool. Think art installations, comfy couches begging you to sink in, and the kind of minimalist-chic design that makes you feel instantly hip... even if you're wearing socks with sandals. But spontaneously combusting? Nah. More like, you might get a sudden urge to Instagram your surroundings. And maybe that's a mind-blowing achievement in itself, right?
The rooms... those tiny little "boxes," what's the deal? Claustrophobic city?
Okay, the rooms. Here's the unvarnished truth. They *are* cozy. I stayed there last year, feeling like Goldilocks. It's like, perfectly sized for a solo traveler or a couple who REALLY likes each other because there's minimal personal space. The bed is monstrous, and the whole room is a study in efficient (and surprisingly stylish) design. I went in with low expectations, prepared for a cramped, dark prison cell. Instead, I got something that was weirdly comfortable. The shower is amazing though. Seriously, I could have stayed in that rain shower for hours. It was arguably the best part of my stay, actually. The only real downside? I'd be scared to stay in my apartment after that.
Tell me about the "living room" and those self-service things, is it actually easy to manage?
The "living room" as CitizenM calls it? Honestly, it's the heart and soul of the place. You know, the lobby? Okay, so you can easily order food or drinks at any hour without interacting with anyone. This is both a blessing and a curse - on the one hand, no small talk. But on the other, it does feel a bit like you're living in a self-service episode of The Jetsons. And those kiosks? They're generally user-friendly, even after a few Dutch beers. But sometimes, you just want a REAL PERSON to make you a cappuccino, you know? To ask about your day? To tell you if you're being overly-critical? No, you just get the machine. Again I will say, amazing but not for everyone.
Is the location good, really good? And is it too noisy?
Location: YES. Amstel is prime real estate. You're in a vibrant part of Amsterdam, close to everything you WANT. Museums, canals, shops, the whole shebang. Walkable is an understatement. HOWEVER, Amsterdam being Amsterdam... it's full of life. And sometimes, that life can be noisy. Honestly, my first night? I was slightly concerned about the noise. I was prepared. But, hey, the noise insulation is pretty darn good. Also, I had a drink or two. It was all fine.
Breakfast? Do I bother? And what's the food situation generally?
Listen up. The breakfast buffet at CitizenM is pretty decent, for a hotel breakfast. Plenty of options and it should definitely do the trick. However, it's not exactly a Michelin-starred dining experience. It's a buffet. You get the idea? The food situation in general? Pretty good. You can grab snacks and drinks 24/7 from the kiosk. The canteenM restaurant, as they call it, is decent. You can order stuff online and from the kiosks. As a lazy person, I loved it.
Wifi situation? Crucial for Instagramming your "mind-blowing" experience.
Yes! They know that the WiFi needs to be good. It's free, and fast. You will not be left stranded, desperately trying to upload your perfectly-filtered photos.
What about the staff? Helpful, or robots?
The staff are great... in my experience, anyway. They have the same sort of friendly vibe. They're helpful when you need them, but they're not hovering. I had a problem with my key card once, and a very affable person sorted it out quickly. I appreciated that. Mostly, though, you're left to your own devices. Which is, I think, the CitizenM way.
So, bottom line: Would you stay again?
Look, if I'm being honest? YES. I would. This is a great place. It's stylish, clean, well-located, and generally a good experience. The rain shower alone? Worth it. Plus, let's be real, Amsterdam hotels can be pricey. CitizenM offers a good value proposition, especially for the location. It's not perfect, and it's not for everyone. But if you're looking for a cool, convenient, and comfortable base for exploring Amsterdam, I'd recommend it. You might not spontaneously combust, but you'll probably have a pretty good time. Just remember to pack some earplugs, and maybe a decent book, just in case the "mind-blowing" factor wears off. Which, let's be honest, it might. We're all human after all.

